Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
5 - 6 people
For truly great tasting Chicken Pot Pie, this recipe is for you. It takes time, but we promise you won't be disappointed.
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup crisco butter shortnening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons ice water
- 1 Whole Fresh Chicken
- 10 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- In a large dutch oven on the stove, place the whole chicken in the pot. Cover with water about 3/4 of the way up on the chicken. Add 10 chicken bouillon cubes. Cook until fork tender over medium heat. Approximately 1-1/2 hours. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Remove from heat and allow to cool. When chicken is cool enough; remove from bone.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter or margarine. Add 1/3 cup diced celery, 1/3 cup diced carrots, 1/4 cup diced onion and 1 teaspoon seasoning pepper. Stir in 1/4 cup flour, add 2 cups chicken broth. Let come to a boil and cook until it slightly thickens.
- "Add 3 heaping cups of chicken pieces. Note: To have a more moist pie you may have to add more chicken broth. "
- Make the pie crust. Mix together flour and salt in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup shortening to the bowl and mix with a hand mixer or food processor. Then add the other 1/2 cup of shortening and repeat mixing process until shortening is about the size of peas. Slowly add ice water, mixing just 5 to 10 seconds at a time. Pie Crust is ready when crumbly dough sticks together.
- Next, roll out pie crust and line bottom and sides to the lip of a 9 inch round baking dish. Pour in filling. Roll out additional pie crust and cover filling. Pinch edges together to seal the crust. Prick entire top of the crust with a fork.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- Tip: No time to make a crust? Purchase Pre-Made Pastry Sheets.