4 - 5 people
Learn how to make cheesy scalloped potatoes layered with smoked bacon, ham and shredded cheese for a scrumptious taste in every bite!
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 4-5 Yukon potatoes, washed and peeled
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3½ cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 oz. Burgers’ Smokehouse Hickory Smoked ham, cubed
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Burgers’ Smokehouse bacon, cooked and chopped
- Scallions for garnish (optional)
- Use a mandolin to slice potatoes into thin slices. Wash slices to remove excess starch then set aside to dry.
- Melt the butter in a large pan at medium-high heat then sauté the onions and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the flour and mix to coat the sautéed onions and dissolve into the butter. Cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the pan heat down to a medium temperature. Slowly add in the milk and whisk to combine ingredients until the roux thickens.
- Mix to combine the mustard, thyme, salt, and pepper with the roux. Set pan heat down to the lowest temperature and cover with a lid for later use. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a deep cast-iron skillet with cooking spray and evenly layer the bottom with ¼ of sliced potatoes, ¼ of ham cubes, ¼ of roux, and ¼ of shredded cheddar. Repeat until 4 times until the potatoes, ham, roux, and cheddar are no more.
- Top the dish with bacon then cover to seal the cast-iron skillet with aluminum foil. Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- After the dish has cooked for 1 hour, remove the skillet from the oven and turn on the broiler. Once the broiler is ready, remove the foil and transfer the skillet to the broiler to cook for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
- Remove the skillet from the broiler and let cool for 10 minutes then serve.