Instant Pot Orzo with Sausage, Kale, and Asparagus
4 - 6 people
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tsp black pepper
- 1 Tsp dried basil
- One (remove casing and cut into small pieces) Burgers Smokehouse Rope Sausage
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 oz fresh or frozen asparagus
- 1 cup frozen chopped kale
- 1 lb. orzo pasta
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Set Instant Pot to sauté and add 1 Tbsp olive oil and butter, allow to melt then add onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
- Add an additional 1 Tbsp oil and all seasonings to onions and garlic, stir, then add rope sausage and sauté until fully cooked through about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for parmesan cheese, lemon juice, parsley, and stir well.
- Set Instant pot to the manual setting for 8 minutes. Once the timer is up the pressure must be manually released or the orzo will burn. Use an oven mitt and a towel to protect from hot steam and carefully release.
- Once fully released remove the lid and stir thoroughly. Add lemon juice and parmesan, mix well, and serve.