Ingredients and Method
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 8 slices Burgers’ Smokehouse bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1½ stalks celery, sliced
- 1 red bell, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 cups black eyed peas, soaked
- 4 large leaves of collard greens, ribboned and ribs removed
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 crushed bay leaf
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup long-grain rice, rinsed
- scallions for garnish
- Put on a large cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat and melt 1 T. butter. Cook bacon until slightly crispy and browned. With tongs, take out the bacon and remove excess grease, while leaving grease in the pan.
- Add in garlic, shallots, and celery to the skillet and cook until the contents are soft.
- Add in the jalapeno, bell peppers, and black eyes peas to the pan and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in the collards and mix and cook until wilted.
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth, cayenne, paprika, bay leaf, pepper, and salt to the skillet then bring the stew to a simmer and reduce heat to a medium-low temperature. Cover the skillet with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes, until peas are soft.
- After the time is up, slowly pour in the rice while mixing into the stew. Reduce heat to the lowest temperature and cover with a lid. Let simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid rice from sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- After the simmer time is done, mix all of the skillet contents, and set to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with scallions.