Country Ham Cornbread
Share with your friends
- 1 lb. Burgers' Smokehouse Country Ham, cooked & chopped (reserve drippings from cooking)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 packages corn bread mix ( 8.5 oz. each)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons country ham drippings (reserved from cooking)
- 1 can cream style corn (16 oz.)
- 2 cups grated cheese (cheddar for mild or pepper jack for a zest)
- 1 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped
- In a small skillet & over medium heat. Fry the diced ham over medium heat, frequently stirring to break up chunks, for at least 4 minutes.
- Remove the ham chunks and add the onion, saute the onion and set aside, reserving 2 Tablespoons of the drippings from the pan.
- Mix corn muffin mix as directed on packages.
- Add the country ham drippings, sugar and creamed corn to the cornbread mix.
- Mix all of it thoroughly.
- Grease large cake pan. Pour 1/2 of cornbread mixture in a pan, then layer the cooked country ham, onion, grated cheese, and jalapeno pepper if desired.
- Pour other half of cornbread mixture over the ham & cheese layer, evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve while warm.