Ingredients and Method
- 8 oz. Burgers’ Smokehouse pork sausage
- 1-1½ cups whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 6 eggs scrambled
- 1/4 of a red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 of a green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Burgers’ Smokehouse bacon
- One Pre-made pizza dough
- 1 Tablespoon corn meal
- green onion for garnish
- Bring a medium-sized skillet to medium-high heat. Put the sausage in the skillet and break apart into small pieces using a spatula. Cook sausage until lightly browned. Turn the heat down to medium, pour in the flour and stir to coat the sausage. Add in the butter and stir until a rough roux consistency is made. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring the roux, until sausage gravy comes to a creamy, smooth consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Once the gravy texture is met, cover the skillet with a lid and turn the heat to very low, while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Place another medium skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until lightly browned. Do not cook the bacon all the way crispy, it will finish cooking on top of the pizza. Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the grease, and chop the bacon into thick chunks.
- With the same skillet on medium heat, cook the scrambled eggs until they start to take shape. Again, do not fully cook the eggs because they will finish cooking on top of the pizza. Take the eggs out of the skillet and transfer it into a small bowl to use later.
- Form the pizza dough into a 12-inch sized pizza crust. Transfer the formed dough onto a pizza tray or pan with a light coating of cornmeal underneath to prevent the dough from sticking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Ladle all the sausage gravy on top of the dough, spreading it like you would a tomato sauce, leaving room for the edge of the crust. Next spread the scrambled eggs on top of the gravy. Then spread the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses to cover the eggs. Sprinkle on the bacon chunks and peppers on top of the cheese.
- Put the pizza into the oven and cook for 17-20 minutes. Remove pizza from the oven and sprinkle with green onions.
- Notes: To get a golden crust, halfway through the pizza cooking time, brush some melted butter on top of the crust.