Biscuits and Gravy with Smoked Pork Jowl
5 - 6 people
Easy to make delicious white gravy, paired with sliced smoked pork jowl & buttermilk biscuits for a twist on the classic Biscuits & Gravy recipe.
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 1 lb. Burgers’ Smokehouse smoked pork jowl, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 5-6 buttermilk biscuits, baked
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the pork jowl slices on an oven-safe cooling rack with a baking sheet underneath. Cook pork jowl slices in the oven for 15 minutes until the jowl slices are golden brown.
- Remove cooked jowl slices from the oven, reserving any drippings in the baking sheet for later use.
- Put a medium sauce-pan on the stove and bring it to medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan and add 1 T. of the pork jowl dripping to the pan.
- Add the flour and mix until it is combined with the butter and drippings.
- Slowly pour in the milk, while continuously whisking, until thick gravy consistency is formed.
- Add in the salt, thyme, and pepper and mix to combine. Reduce to the lowest temperature and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cut the biscuits in half and lay down 2-3 pieces of pork jowl on each half. Ladle a portion of the gravy on top of each biscuit and serve.
- Notes: If possible, use a gravy boat to make gravy easily accessible.