Aunt Margarets Coffee Cake
6 - 8 people
Coffee Cake is an art and this recipe is no exception. Simple instructions and don't forget the icing!
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 packages yeast
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm temperature
- 3 eggs
- 8 cups flour
- Pre-Heat Oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dissolve 1 and 1/2 packages of yeast in 1/4 cup of lukewarm water.
- Scald 2 cups milk.
- To the milk, add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup butter and 1 teaspoon of salt and 3 beaten eggs and mix it up well.
- Add the milk mixture to the yeast/water mixture. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Add 8 cups of flour and mix well.
- Pour mixture on a floured pastry board and knead until elastic.
- Return to a large floured mixing bowl and allow to rise until it is about double in size.
- Transfer to 9 in. baking pans - let rise again (letting it rise twice is very important!)
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and serve when baked completely.